| What Pimsleur Course is Right for Me ?
Basic Course (10 lessons): The first 10 lessons of the Comprehensive I course, the Basic course starts at the beginning level and is a great way to try out the Pimsleur courses and be on your way to learning a new language.
Compact Course (10 lessons): Designed for those who wish to learn one of the less commonly studied languages, the Compact course starts at the beginning level.
Conversational Course (16 lessons): The first 16 lessons of the Level I course. It starts at a beginning level and will take you half way to the intermediate-low level of communication.
Comprehensive I (30 lessons): This course takes you from the beginning to the intermediate-low level of communication. Upon completion of the Comprehensive Level I Program, the learner will have achieved spoken–language communication skills at the Intermediate–Low Level. This level is characterized by the ability to participate in simple, direct conversations on everyday topics, in everyday situations; by being able to satisfy immediate needs, such as ordering food and making simple purchases; and by being able to establish rapport with strangers in a foreign country. Upon completion of a Level 1, you will have functional spoken proficiency with the most-frequently-used vocabulary and grammatical structures. You will be able to:
Comprehensive II (30 lessons): This course takes you from the intermediate-low to the intermediate-mid level of communication. Upon completion of the Comprehensive Level I and Level II (60 lessons total), the learner will have achieved the Intermediate–Mid Level. This level is characterized by creative ability in the target language and by being able to communicate personal meaning to native speakers by combining and recombining known elements and conversational input to correctly form sentences of increasing length. Level 2 will double your vocabulary and grammatical structures while increasing your spoken proficiency exponentially. Upon completion of a Level 2, you will be albe to:
- initiate and maintain face-to-face conversations,
- deal with every day situations -- ask for information, directions, and give basic information about yourself and family,
- communicate basic information on informal topics and participate in casual conversations,
- avoid basic cultural errors and handle minimum courtesy and travel requirements,
- satisfy personal needs and limited social demands,
- establish rapport with strangers in foreign countries,
- begin reading and sounding out items with native-like pronunciation.
Comprehensive III (30 lessons): This course takes you from the intermediate-mid to the intermediate-high level of communication. Upon completion of the Comprehensive Level I, Level II, and Level III (90 lessons total), the learner will have achieved the Intermediate–High Level. This level is characterized by the ability to obtain, sustain and bring to a close a number of basic communicative exchanges, to satisfy personal needs and social demands, and to survive and cope in the target language and culture. The learner can converse with growing ease and confidence, narrate and describe in terms of past, present and future using connected discourse of considerable conversational length. Level 3 will increase your vocabulary and grammatical structures and triple your spken proficiency. Upon completion of a level 3, you will be able to:
- engage in fuller conversations involving yourself, your family, daily activities, interests and personal preferences,
- combine known elemnts into increasingly longer sentences and strings of sentences,
- create with language and function in informal situations,
- deal with concrete topics in the past, present, and future,
- meet social demands and limited job requirements,
- begin reading for meaning.
- participate in most informal and some formal discussions on practical, social, and some semi-professional topics,
- form longer sentences while maintaining the target language syntax,
- be understood even by native speakers unused to dealing with foreigners,
- handle increasingly difficult grammatical structures,
- enjoy fluent conversations with a variety of strangers,
- have a new-native accent, and the subtleties of the language will be apparent in your speech,
- read at the same level at which you speak.
Plus Course -- Level 4 (10 lessons): Available only in French, German, Italian and Spanish, this course is a 10 lesson follow-up to the Comprehensive III course. Plus Programs will:
- build upon the language corpus acquired in Level I, II, and III,
- include real-life situations (working in a publishing company and attending a trade fair),
- include a more interpersonal exchange of language at a higher level, using diverse language strategies.
Please feel free to contact us if you have any specific questions on what course is best for you.